Tuesday 11 September 2007

Review: Engine No. 5

Engine No. 5 from Pennichuck Brewing Company, Inc.
Rating: B

I left a box of beer that included this one in the garage for almost three months under less than ideal storage conditions - two of the bottles went bad in that time (unless maybe they were purchased bad?) so I'm hoping this one is still good - last one out of that box. Let's see, pouring into a SA Boston Lager pint glass.

Appearance: Deep ruby/garnet color, darker than I was expecting for the style. Head has little retention, but leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Light in aroma, almost to the point of wondering if lager yeast was at work here. A bit of light grain.

Taste: No hint of spoilage - I'm relieved. Caramel, sharp bitterness that's of the kind that's difficult to distinguish between hops and burnt, bready/toasty finish that's quite nice. Grainy aftertaste. Better than I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Just shy of medium body, prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly well balanced, overall, and sessionable. Wish I knew the ABV.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 09-11-2007 22:56:57

No comments: