Tuesday 12 September 2006

Review: Alligator Ale

Alligator Ale from Hops Grillhouse & Brewery
Rating: B-

The brewer described this, so that's what I'm listing it as, even though the corporate list has it categorized as an English Brown Ale. I should note that I spoke with the new brewer at the location, and he indicated that the beers currently on tap were not "up to spec" and he was replacing the old brewer fr that reason.

Appearance: Dark brown with ruby highlights, little in the way of head or lacing, but that might be due to the pour.

Smell: Coffee and caramel aroma.

Taste: Cola (caramel, I suppose), coffee, and a chocolate aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: surprisingly light, too light for a porter. Carbonation is good.

Drinkability: It's light in flavor, but clearly intentionally so, accessibility being an important consideration for this kind of brewpub. I had this and the Hoptoberfest, and I preferred the Alligator.

Serving type: on-tap

Reviewed on: 09-11-2006 23:57:57

No comments: