Sunday 10 September 2006

Review: Kulmbacher Reichelbrau Eisbock

Kulmbacher Reichelbrau Eisbock from Kulmbacher Brauerei AG
Rating: B-

Sampled at Stubbie in Gainesville, my first eisbock.

Appearance: Very dark in the glass, with some purple highlights. Moderate head without much retention or lacing.

Smell: Alcohol and malt, obviously, but there's something else there that's a bit weird. A friend described it as "fishy," but "oily" might be a better descriptor. Dark fruit and caramel in the background.

Taste: No attempt to conceal alcohol, although I suppose that should be expected in this style. Malty, caramel, but also with lots more dark fruit than I would expect coming from lager yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, and a slick mouthfeel.

Drinkability: It took me a while to put this one down, I don't know if it's the style or this one in particular, but I wasn't a big fan.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 09-10-2006 15:21:58


No comments: