Saturday 16 December 2006

Review: Fresh Hop Pale Ale

Fresh Hop Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company
Rating: A

This is one delicious beer. I've been wanting to try a harvest ale for a while, and it didn't disappoint.

Appearance: Looks like the kind of color you expect from an APA or IPA , a rich coppery orange color with a good head that thanks to lots of hops leaves lots of lacing.

Smell: Hops hops and more hops - the fresh kind, resiny and oily. Very intense and lasting - can't wait to taste!

Taste: Taste is a bit surprising. With the huge hop aroma, I was expecting something more bitter, but checking the label I see this is only 55 IBU's - an APA, not an IPA then. For what it is, absolutely delicious. Tons of hop flavor, but well balanced. I wouldn't have minded some more bitterness, but I can't possibly complain about what I got. Not harsh at all, intensely flavorful.

Mouthfeel: Hop flavor sticks to the inside of your mouth. Good carbonation.

Drinkability: I could drink this all night. Excellent.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 12-16-2006 19:19:45

No comments: