Thursday 8 February 2007

Review: Carolina Winter Porter

Carolina Winter Porter from Carolina Brewing Company
Rating: B+

Thanks to ipa2xs for shipping this my way in the No Name BIF

Appearance: Garnet in color, actually with almost a purple hue. Clear. One finger head, good lacing and retention.

Smell: Distinctly bitter roastiness, with some smooth chocolate. Hops come through in the same way they did in my dry-hopped homebrew imperial stout, only less so.

Taste: Wow. It really tastes a good bit like that homebrewed stout, excpet watered down into a porter. The resemblance is striking. Coffee and chocolate, with a distinct hops bitterness - more than most porters. Less roast than I expected, MUCH less caramel than I've come to expect in a porter, which I consider to be a very good thing.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Fairly creamy. Well-carbonated for the style.

Drinkability: High! Full of flavor, yet light enough to enjoy a bunch of. I'm wishing I had another bottle.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 02-08-2007 03:12:23

No comments: