Tuesday 10 April 2007

Review: Batch 376

Batch 376 from Magic Hat Brewing Company
Rating: B

Received from mymrnngjckt in my Secret Bunny package - thanks! Only the second schwarzbier I've had.

Appearance: Very dark, almost black but revealing tawny & garnet tints when held up to a light. Initially a large tan head, but fades rather quickly to bare whisps. Good lacing.

Smell: Roasty, almost like a well-made porter. Some coffee and chocolate, none of the ale fruitiness - as expected, in this lager.

Taste: Roast, coffee... decent amount of hops bitterness. Very little diacetyl butteriness! A first for me among Magic Hat's beers - typically I find it very distracting in their beers.

Mouthfeel: Thinner in body than you'd expect from looking at it, but remember this isn't a porter or a stout - it's a schwarzbier and they "tend to lean towards light"

Drinkability: Good - most drinkable Magic Hat beer that I've had.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 04-10-2007 20:54:54

No comments: