Sunday 13 May 2007

Review: Baltika #8 Wheat

Baltika #8 Wheat from Pivzavod Baltika / Baltic Beverages Holding
Rating: B-

Two four packs of Baltika products were available at the local Fresh Market, each with a different selection. I picked this one, more or less randomly - might have to come back for the other one.

Appearance: Pours with a very big white head! Golden in color. Good head retention. No lacing.

Smell: Clove is the most recognizable wheat beer aroma present, some banana and grain as well. I'm curious what temperature this was fermented at, my guess is lower than typical ale temperature, since the aromas are a bit lighter than I would have expected.

Taste: Solid wheat beer flavor profile. A bit tough to classify, I wouldn't think it's hoppy enough to count as an American Pale Wheat, but it's not cloudy so not a hefe - maybe a kristalweizen, but I'd expect more bubblegum... Fair malt backbone. Banana finally shows up a bit in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium in body, carbonation not as high as it looked immediately when poured.

Drinkability: Quaffable. I'm looking forward to trying the porter more.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 05-13-2007 02:51:28

No comments: