Friday 5 January 2007

Brewpub Review: Big Bear Brewing Company

Big Bear Brewing Company in Coral Springs, FL
Rating: B

Finally visited while home for break.

Atmosphere: a little on the dark side, more "classy" than many brewpubs - it's not a sports bar by any means, could be a decent date place. The brewing equipment and serving vessels are visible as you dine.

Quality: Both beers I had were solid. While a brewpub, didn't seem to be a beer-oriented place, most of the tables I saw had soda on them, although I did hear a girl behind me order the porter...

Service: Good, but didn't seem particularly attentive or knowledgeable about beer, either. Different glassware for the Belgian dubbel I ordered and the APA, which was appreciated, but the dubbel was served a little too cold and the APA was served in a frosted glass. Had to wait a bit more than I'd like to get the hostess's attention.

Selection: Better than average selection for a brewpub - eight beers on tap, including three rotating selections. I meant to ask if they had glassware available (I did see shirts...) but since none of their own beers were served in their own glassware, I guess probably not.

Food: Tasty. The beer meunster soup was delicious in a bread bowl, coconut shrimp were tasty, but a little on the greasy side. Good portions, didn't have room for dessert. Plenty of variety on the menu.

Reviewed on: 01-05-2007 21:00:58

No comments: