Thursday 25 January 2007

Review: Burton Baton

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Rating: A-

Appearance: Very attractive brilliant orange/red color, sparklingly clear for a bottle conditioned beer. Decent head, off-white, retention is okay. Lacing is less than impressive, perhaps due to the 10% abv.

Smell: Very reminiscent of DFH 90 minute IPA. Same malt/hop profile, but perhaps a little bit more mellow and complex. A hint of oak poking through. Very nice.

Taste: Surprisingly sweet at the front of the palate - too sweet, I think. Some citrusy fruit follows... Definitely some honey, along with the hops bitterness. Not as much oak as I was expecting - I'd have liked to try this before it was blended. Aftertaste reminds me of cream soda - maybe it's the vanilla from the oak coming through. In some ways barleywine-like.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, creamy. Well-carbonated. Good!

Drinkability: I just wish it wasn't so sweet... Limits drinkability for me, personally, but I enjoyed all that I had.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 01-25-2007 23:29:05


No comments: