Tuesday 2 January 2007

Review: Brew Masters Private Reserve

Brew Masters Private Reserve from Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Rating: B-

Happy new year! Opening this Christmas gift and sharing it with family... I'm going in trying desperately to be fair and ignore the name of the brewery on the label.

Appearance: Coppery-gold, with a big head that fades and leaves no lacing. Average looking.

Smell: I know this is all-malt, but it still smells macro-y - weak hops aroma, alcohol vaguely in the background. None of the squeaky-clean scent I associate with good pilseners. Malt, however, is more present than in your typical BMC macro lager, with a slight caramel note to it.

Taste: Reminds me of Tafel Lager, which I had in South Africa. Solid for the style. Slightly sweeter than I'd prefer, but with decent malt depth. Hops are light, but I suppose that's to be expected. Alcohol content is very clear when you swallow, unfortunately.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than typical macro lager, lingering aftertaste that you could not describe as pleasant.

Drinkability: Alcohol taste at the swallow detracts from drinkability, as does the slight sweetness and less than pleasant aftertaste. That said, clearly superior to the flagship products! I wanted to like this one, I really did, but I can't give it a "good" in any aspect.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 01-02-2007 00:38:50

No comments: