Sunday 28 January 2007

Review: Chipotle Ale

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales Brewery / Brewer's on the Bay
Rating: B-

Split the bomber bottle with my dad while watching college basketball.

Appearance: Fairly clear brown and golden in color. Good head, but exhibiting poor retention, no lacing - maybe due to the oils in the peppers? Or the fact I was pouring into two glasses rather than one and poured slowly...

Smell: Vaguely "sharp" but hard to place the source of the aroma - so presumably the chiles. Some malt with a slight hint of smoke.

Taste: The chipotle winds up being a background flavor. Maybe just because I really like spicy food, I didn't really find this hot enough. Neither the heat nor the smoke that I expect from something with the name "chipotle" come through very well. There's definitely a "bite" but it doesn't come off clearly enough to be recognizable if you didn't know what you were supposed to be drinking.

Mouthfeel: Body and carbonation are fine. I didn't find the aftertaste as objectionable as some have.

Drinkability: I wouldn't have wanted any more of this. I would like to try it mixed with Rogue's chocolate stout, however, I've heard it's a good combination.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 01-28-2007 18:03:07

No comments: