Monday 22 January 2007

Review: Lindemans Gueuze

Lindemans Gueuze from Brouwerij Lindemans
Rating: B+


Appearance: Honey in color, nice white two finger head that has decent retention but leaves behind not much in the way of lacing - maybe my glass was still wet from washing when I poured. Attractive color.

Smell: Slightly sweet, slightly sour smelling... A bit worrying, I'm not a big fan of the super-sweet lambics I've had so far. Not much in the way of hops or malt character, but a hint of barnyard saison-like funk.

Taste: Sweet at the tip of the palate, but quickly supplanted by sourness and bitterness. Brett character at the finish that definitely reminds of Orval. Hops just for bittering (and perhaps preservative!), not for flavor. Finishes dry, which I appreciate.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light. Well-carbonated.

Drinkability: I was a bit nervous, as this is the first gueuze I've had. Much more drinkable than the other lambics I've had. I'll have to explore this style in more depth when the opportunity arises... I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this served as a good introduction for me and left me with a favorable impression of the style.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 01-22-2007 03:04:11

No comments: