Wednesday 24 January 2007

Review: Obolon Porter

Obolon Porter from Obolon Brewery
Rating: B+

Presentation: Green bottle with "Produced in Ukraine" prominently displayed - the reason I bought it, I've never had a beer from Ukraine before... Nice cap.

Appearance: Dark brown, with a definite reddish hue. Clear, good head with good retention, and leaving some lacing on the side.

Smell: A strong brown sugar aroma predominates, with roast malt, dark fruit, and coffee undertones. Light on chocolate and caramel.

Taste: Finishes smoky. Not overwhelmingly caramely, which I kind of appreciate - too many brewpub porters wind up tasting like coca cola - maybe it's the smoke that balances that here. Finish isn't overly sweet. I had no idea it was 7% until I looked...

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than I expected, could use some more body. Carbonation seems perfect.

Drinkability: This is drinkable beer. The smoke shows up nicely in the finish, but doesn't stick around through the aftertaste. Enjoyable beer, better than I expected it to be, although not having had another baltic porter I'm not quite sure what to expect. Went down very easy, but that might be partly a function of the long day I ended with it...

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 01-24-2007 00:57:16

No comments: