Friday 19 January 2007

Review: Red Head Red Ale

Red Head Red Ale from Dunedin Brewery
Rating: B-


Appearance: Massively carbonated, but after the last Dunedin beer I poured from a bottle I knew to be careful with this one. A pour down the side still yields a four finger head, with plenty of beer still left in the bottle. Beer itself is an attractive ruddy amber in color. Slightly off-white head that promises good retention.
Smell is predominantly malty, with bready notes predominating. Some caramel.

Taste: Bread, caramel and slight toast. Hops show up just as a bitter balance to the malt, with little in the way of hops flavor standing out. Finishes on a slightly astringent note, reminiscent of some cheap pilsners. A bit surprised to see East Kent Goldings listed as a hop used, I don't taste it at all.

Mouthfeel: Massively carbonated, distractingly so. Otherwise fine.

Drinkability: Not bad, I'd drink this again but given the choice I'd probably pick their Pale Ale. I can't understand why Dunedin sends their beers out so highly carbonated!

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 01-19-2007 01:47:27

No comments: