Tuesday 13 June 2006

Review: Das Pilsener

Das Pilsener from Namibia Breweries Limited
Rating: C+

Appearance: gold, nice head, very clear, good retention and lacing - a fine looking pilsener.

Smell: Sweet, hops, pretty clean, nothing objectionable despite the green bottle. Actually, looking more closely at the bottle, its "best by" date was 9 months ago. I'm amazed it doesn't smell skunked. Let's see how it tastes...

Taste: very reminiscent of Pilsener Urquell, which for the style I suppose is a good thing! Clean, slightly sweet, hops bitterness might be a tad low... Now that I've seen the best by date and I'm looking, I might be detecting the slightest bit of cardboard, but it's one of those situations that makes you wonder how much of tasting is psychological. I didn't taste it before I saw the date.

Mouthfeel: okay finish, lingers a bit. Good carbonation. Has some body to it.

Drinkability: this is a solid pilsener, but a little on the sweet side and/or underhopped. Pretty average, good alternative to Castle or even Windhoek. I wonder if its apparent durability is due to the fact that it only had to travel from Namibia to South Africa for me to taste it, rather than across the ocean.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 06-12-2006 23:04:16

No comments: