Tuesday 13 June 2006

Review: Guinness Draught

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Rating: B-

Appearance: Poured out of a nitro bottle, it's opaque black, and thanks to the widget forms the familiar two-layered head. Doesn't leave lace so much as a tan film on the glass.

Smell: All I'm picking up is roast, but to be fair I've got a stuffy nose so it's likely I'm missing something.

Taste: roast, grain-bitterness, a little touch of chocolate and coffee, and a finish that's almost too-sweet (more like a sweet/milk stout), but the aftertaste is pleasant. Not as flavorful as the extra stout, to be sure.

Mouthfeel: Unfortunately, the creaminess of that nitro-layer of head dissipates all too quickly, and the rest of the glass doesn't have that same creaminess. I definitely have a soft spot for nitrogen-charged beers, though.

Drinkability: I've had something of an ongoing debate as to whether I prefer the draught or the extra stout, and the conclusion I think I've come ot is that the Extra Stout is a better beer, but I wish it had some nitro. I suppose the moral of the story is "just get it on tap."The sweet finish does hurt the drinkability a bit, though.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

Reviewed on: 06-13-2006 02:41:13


No comments: