Wednesday 21 March 2007

Review: Gouden Carolus Ambrio

Gouden Carolus Ambrio from Brouwerij Het Anker
Rating: B+


Appearance: Color is somewhere between orange and purple, nice and clear. Enormous, rocky off-white head, good retention, possibly due in part to the Duvel tulip it was poured into. Some good lacing, too.

Smell: Belgian yeast over a base of malt. Some spice and perhaps a touch of banana. Slight, sweet vanilla? Nice and complex.

Taste: Belgian, grassy, some citrusy, acidic character as well... Again, some banana. I really need to come up with the vocabulary to describe to non-beer-drinkers what I consider to be just plain "Belgian yeast" - it's so distinctive, but tell a non-beer-drinker that and they just stare. Hoppier than I expected.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, well-carbonated. Crisp, dry, almost cidery finish.

Drinkability: Good, I like this one. Glad I picked it up.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 03-21-2007 01:35:01

No comments: