Friday 23 March 2007

Review: Gumballhead

Gumballhead from Three Floyds Brewing Co. / Brewery & Pub
Rating: A

Really an exceptional beer. Received from mymrngjckt in Secret Bunny '07

Appearance: Hazy golden-amber in color, good-sized head, retention and lacing.

Smell: I already know it's going to be good. Much more hops than I was expecting in a wheat ale, but not overwhelming. Sweet, fruity hops in the nose. Light, wheaty malt base - I find myself looking for the typical wheat aromas and do detect a tough of bubblegum.

Taste: Wow, great stuff here. Plenty of hops flavor on top of a light, wheat, somewhat fruity base. Again, I find a tough of bubblegum at the swallow that reminds me this is a wheat beer - and the non-beer drinker that tasted with me agreed, definitely bubblegum. Great balance, the amount of hops lets it avoid becoming cloying. Easily my favorite wheat beer to date.

Mouthfeel: Wheat gives it a nice smooth mouthfeel. Finishes dry and acidic, improving drinkability. Medium body, good carbonation.

Drinkability: If all Three Floyds beers are like this, maybe I should consider a move to Indiana. Really exceptional, this one. Only 4.8% alcohol? Very sessionable.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 03-23-2007 20:07:49

No comments: