Friday 17 August 2007

Review: Old Chub

Old Chub from Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery
Rating: B+

I avoided this one for a while because I had yet to encounter a Scotch ale I particularly liked. Now I have.

Appearance: deep garnet in color, smallish head - I was initially concerned that my can wasn't carbonated because the "pop" was not very audible. Leaves a little lacing.

Smell: caramel, a little chocolate, and a hint of dark fruit. Lighter aroma than I was expecting.

Taste: Cocoa powder finish, enough hops bitterness to balance the malty sweetness that is inherent in the style. Not as much caramel as I was expecting. Bit of alcohol spice and warming, and a whisp of smoke that might just be the hickory ribs I'm pairing this with. I bet this would make an excellent glaze. Tasty.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, smooth. Carbonation a little light, but I think it fits the style.

Drinkability: Good! My favorite OB beer now (Gordon is too expensive to be a favorite beer). Easy to drink.

Serving type: can

Reviewed on: 08-17-2007 16:55:51

No comments: