Saturday 1 July 2006

Review: Bad Moon Porter

Bad Moon Porter from DuClaw Brewing Company
Rating: B-

Sampled in a pint glass at the Arundel Mills location. Arrived at the table very dark, almost opaque. No head or lacing to speak of.
Smell was reminiscent of french roast coffee beans - there's a burnt characteristic here. A touch of chocolate in the nose as well.
Taste is much the same: roast/burnt malt, with the distinct bitterness associated with it, underscored by coffee and chocolate notes. Level of hops was appropriate for the style.

Mouthfeel: the promotional material calls this "medium to full body," but honestly it's just medium. Lighter than I expected, but I think I had to remind myself that this was a porter, not a stout.

Drinkability: my girlfriend had two of these, one with dinner and one with a chocolate dessert, so it was worth re-ordering. I just had one with dessert, but I'd say this is a solid porter, but I think I'd prefer more of the coffee and chocolate characteristics and less of the "burnt" ones.

Serving type: on-tap

Reviewed on: 07-01-2006 15:21:30

No comments: