Tuesday 25 July 2006

Review: He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company (He'Brew)
Rating: B+

Appearance: beautiful white head, absolutely incredible head retention, the best I've ever seen. It must be the rye. Body is a clear ruddy color.

Smell: inverted from the other he'brew beers, where sweet malt is dominant - this one has a very strong spicy hops character, with the malt playing a supporting role. Somewhat bready.

Taste: spicy hop bite up front, which gives way to sweet malt. Alcohol fairly well-hidden, I thought. Not my favorite of the he'brew line, I have to say. Drinking this beer is like a kick in the head, it's very strongly flavored.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy mouthfeel, dry acidic finish that aids drinkability a little, but the aftertaste lingers.

Drinkability: I drank this one slower than the others. I enjoyed it, but I won't be seeking this one out again.

Serving type: on-tap

Reviewed on: 07-25-2006 02:34:58

No comments: