Monday 31 July 2006

Review: Frambozenbier

Frambozenbier from Brouwerij Liefmans
Rating: B+

This was in the back of my local liquor store's beer cooler. I wonder how long it had been sitting back there, but I don't see a date on the label. Cork comes out with less of a "pop!" than I was expecting.

Appearance: Pours more brown than red, actually with a touch of orange around the edges. Nice and clear, but little head with poor retention. Points for not *looking* like a raspberry beer.

Smell: You can smell raspberry as soon as it pours into the glass. A closer olfactory inspection reveals raspberry jam aromas with a hint of hops towards the tail.

Taste: Sweet raspberries at the tip of the tongue, but with a bitter middle and a fairly dry finish. This is the second beer of this genre that I've had (following the belle vue kriek) and I definitely like this one better. It's more dry, more tart, and I like raspberry more than cherry in general. Aftertaste is raspberry jam.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, not syrupy. Could perhaps be a little more carbonated.

Drinkability: Higher than I expected, for sure. Dry finish helps a lot. Would pair very well with a raspberry (or chocolate, for that matter) dessert. Each reviewer seems to classify this in a different style, so I won't even try to box it in.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 07-31-2006 02:14:29

No comments: