Monday 10 July 2006

Review: Fat Angel

Fat Angel from Magic Hat Brewing Company
Rating: C+

This is the first Magic Hat offering that I've sampled.

Appearance: Surprised to see that there's a saying under the cap - I'm curious if it's different from bottle to bottle. Mine says "Break the cage of the digital age..." And here I am glued to the computer as I type up this review. Pours a hazy orange amber with a wimpy head that rapidly disappears. Lots of bubbles clinging to the inside of my glass.

Smell: Resinous hops, hint of caramel malt. After the glass has warmed up a bit, a little fruitiness is detected as well.

Taste: Disappointing. Lots of herbal hops bitterness up front, but comes up lacking. I now notice that the "best buy" date was last month, but I'm not sure I can use that as an excuse here. Earthy malt character toward the end. I think I'm also picking up some of that Ringwood diacetyl on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I expected, a little thin for my taste. Carbonation is fine.

Drinkability: Probably won't buy this one again. Not a whole lot of depth to the flavor, and a too-thin mouthfeel.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 07-10-2006 00:52:08

No comments: