Tuesday 4 July 2006

Review: Brewer Patriot Collection - Traditional Ginger Honey Ale

Brewer Patriot Collection - Traditional Ginger Honey Ale from Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams)
Rating: B-

Okay, made something of a mess opening this, so it's been sitting in the glass for a bit while I cleaned up.

Pours a very hazy (opaque) honey color. Nice head that lasted longer than I expected it to. Some lacing down the glass. Time to remember this is a historical beer before knocking off points for cloudiness.

Aroma is of ginger (unsurprisingly), very spicy, with a faint hint of honey in the background.
First sip. Citrusy at first. Ginger taste takes a while to hit. When it does, it's big. Followed by some hops bitterness, but finishing on a dry, acid note. Leaves your mouth almost cottony-dry. I like dry beers, but this might be the limit. Aftertaste is a little difficult to describe. I suppose it's the ginger, but after it's no longer spicy. The hops play an interesting role here, which I can't make up my mind about.

Light body. Carbonation is high, spritzy. Drinkability is good if you know what you're getting yourself into. I had some ginger beers (non-alcoholic) while I was in South Africa in May-June and this is very reminiscent of those, except with more hop character (and alcohol!) Might get old after one, but a refreshing change from the usual.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 07-04-2006 01:30:54

No comments: