Thursday 6 July 2006

Review: St. Peter's Cream Stout

St. Peter's Cream Stout from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd
Rating: B+

Came recommended by someone at my local beer shop, and I was intrigued by the beautiful, interesting, historical bottle (although it is green).

Appearance: miniscule head, very dark brown color. completely opaque. Some lacing.

Smell: A little difficult to describe. Some dark chocolate, with a promise of spicy hop bitterness. Can you smell lactose? This smells like the last milk stout I had (Castle), and I'm curious if that's the reason why. It's complex, but I'm not wild about it for some reason I can't put my finger on.

Taste: Dark chocolate, hint of molasses, finishes on a bitter note. Would go great with any kind of chocolate dessert. A hint of raisin appears as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, good mouthfeel, good finish; aftertaste lingers.

Drinkability: Goes down easily, especially for such a dark and thick beer.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 07-06-2006 00:12:15


No comments: