Tuesday 4 July 2006

Review: Brewer Patriot Collection - George Washington Porter

Brewer Patriot Collection - George Washington Porter from Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams)
Rating: C+

Appearance: Cola-colored, opaque pour. One-finger tan head, with lots of lacing down the glass.

Smell: The dominant aroma is molasses, with some roast underneath. Luckily, no licorice yet. I really don't like anything that's licorice-flavored, so I was concerned that would be real dominant here. So far so good. As it warms up, you start to get some smoke aroma coming up, as well.

Taste: Real mineraly taste at the front of the palate, almost salty. I wonder if this is from the water used, or another ingredient. That flavor continues throughout, and I'm not a big fan. Molasses in the middle, more bitter than I expected. Smoke and anise finally show up in the finish and aftertaste, but the licorice-ness is mild enough that I don't find it objectionable. For a historical beer, this really isn't bad. At least there's a lot going on. Additionally, the smoked character is becoming more and more dominant as you get down the glass. This might be better reclassified as a smoked beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick! Carbonation balances the thick mouthfeel pretty well. Aftertaste lingers - not a clean finish by any means.

Drinkability: Not as bad as I've made it sound. On Fourth of July, I'd have a hard time thinking of a more appropriate beer to sample (I suppose that was the whole marketing idea behind it. That said, not something I'd get a case of.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 07-04-2006 16:36:05

No comments: