Thursday 6 July 2006

Review: Duvel

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
Rating: A

Since I reviewed La Fin du Monde last night, I thought now would be a good time to review this other heavyweight of the style.

Appearance: Big rocky white head, golden color, clear... exceptional head retention. Stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom of my chalice (no Duvel tulip yet). Amazing lace. Hard to imagine how a beer could look better.

Smell: Citrus, spice, and that trademark Belgian yeast scent. A hint of alcohol. Mouth is watering.

Taste: Sweet malt at the tip of the tongue, but only briefly before the bitterness takes over, with a Saaz spiciness. Slightly yeasty. Drier than La Fin du Monde, I think, and I'd say the alcohol is better hidden (granted, this is 0.5% less ABV). Some cloves and an apple finish.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, silky, but extremely carbonated. Almost want to let it sit for a while so I can taste more of the beer and less prickly CO2. Finishes very well on a dry alcohol note.

Drinkability: I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't like this. This could be a fine introduction to the world of good beer. One complaint: too much carbonation - I had to drink it slower than I wanted to ;) In the battle of the Belgian Strong Pale Ales, in my opinion Duvel wins, but it's tough to compare. While classified in the same style, La Fin du Monde is fruitier and has more body, while Duvel is dryer, more approachable, and looks better in the glass.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 07-05-2006 23:36:12


No comments: