Friday 21 July 2006

Review: Brewer Patriot Collection - 1790 Root Beer Brew

Brewer Patriot Collection - 1790 Root Beer from Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams)
Rating: D-

I've been holding off on opening this one, because I don't have very high expectations, but since it's been sitting in my fridge longer than anything else, I think it's time to open it up.

Appearance: Doesn't pour as dark as I was expecting, more of a caramel color. Very hazy, very little head, no lacing. Not bad for a historical beer, but not very attractive, either. Good color, nothing else positive.

Smell: uhoh, anise is the overwhelming aroma. I should mention now that I really don't like anise, but I'll try my best to be objective. smells "cold," like menthol or mint. Take note, Coors.

Taste: very confused. anise up front, but then the bitterness kicks in. The combination doesn't work at all. as soon as you swallow, the anise flavors come back in full force. It's like forcing your tongue to go on one of the swinging ship amusement park rides. They needed to decide to go one way or the other with this one. You can make a rootbeer that happens to be alcoholic, but don't try to hop it like a beer too. Closest thing to undrinkable I've ever reviewed. I'm trying to find the molasses and vanilla in here, but they're overwhelmed by the anise. Wintergreen shows up in the aftertaste. Hard to finish. Medicinal.

Mouthfeel: Unfortunately, this is probably the best part of this beer. Light-medium body, relatively high carbonation.

Drinkability: who thought this was a good idea? my expectations were already low, but honestly, this was worse than I'd anticipated. I'm going to have to have another beer just to get the taste out of my mouth (darn!). What happened with this one, Sam?

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 07-21-2006 02:27:47

No comments: